Netatalk is a freely-available Open Source AFP fileserver. A *NIX/*BSD system running Netatalk is capable of serving many Macintosh clients simultaneously as an AppleShare file server (AFP).
The suite contains:
- netatalk – the main server service controller
- afpd – the AFP file server daemin
- cnid_metad – the CNID database multiplexing daemon
- cnid_dbd – the CNID database daemon serving CNIDs for AFP volumes
- various supporting programs and utilities
Summary of major new features and enhancements in 3.0
- New ini style configuration file afp.conf which replaces all previous configuration files
- New default AppleDouble backend using filesytem Extended Attributes, conversion from AppleDouble v2 is done automatically on access
- New service controller process “netatalk” responsible for starting and restarting afpd and cnid_metad as necessary
- AppleTalk support has been removed
- Coherent cross-platform locking with Solaris CIFS server
Please make sure to read the upgrading section in the Netatalk online manual before trying to upgrade your system to 3.0!
Netatalk is a Free/Open Source Software project and is released under the GNU General Public License (GPLv2). The full license text is available at:
Changes in 3.0.8
- FIX: dbd: remove orphaned ._ AppleDouble files. Bug #549.
- FIX: afpd: Fix a crash in of_closefork(). Bug #551.